Wednesday 22 June 2011

In My Mailbox #2–A few books in this week.

meIn My Mailbox #2

Hi
In My Mailbox is a weekly bookish meme hosted by Kristi @The Story Siren and inspired by Alea of Pop Culture Junkie
imm
Sorry this “In My mailbox is a day early this week, I have a little free time today and wanted to let my nice new followers know what I’d been up to.  I finished ‘Glass Houses’ by Rachel Caine over the weekend so expect a review of it fairly shortly.  Obviously I’ll go into more depth in the review but I  would say that I thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading more of the Morganville Vampires series soon.  You will also see that I’m running a giveaway of Amy and Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson, to enter all you have to do is sign up to follow the blog and then send an email to fade2fiction AT gmail.com and I’ll include you in the draw. The draw will close on the 4th July so you’ve got a little time to enter.

Anyway enough plugging.  Saturday saw an unexpected trip to Edinburgh which enabled me to go hunting round the bookshops.  I spent a long time in Waterstones (there are 2 in the city centre both within a 5 minute walk of each other) looking at rows and rows of books trying to decide on something I might enjoy.  It was great fun looking at the books, in the past when I was reading lots as part of school work (nearly 20 years ago now) we were always told what to read so having an entire bookstore to choose from sent my mind into a spin.

In the past I always used to drift towards action/adventure novels but I don’t want to stick to those and would like to try looking at genres I would normally stay away from, although I see Tom Clancy has a new novel out, that may be my first Kindle purchase but more on that later.

One book I knew I had to try and get was “True Grit by Charles Portis.  The reason behind this choice is that Ellie over at Musings of a bookshop girl is looking for guest bloggers for her “Page to Screen” event.  I had contacted Ellie with a few ideas and I think my review will be around “True Grit”, looking at the novel, the 1969 John Wayne movie and the recent film by the Cohen Brothers.   I was extremely lucky and managed to get my hands on the last copy of the book in the store but as its quite a small book (around 200 pages) and so I was on the hunt for more. Next I decided to pickup “Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief”.  I know that there is a film of that already out and so if the “True Grit” book doesn’t work out for my “Page to Screen” blog entry then I have this as a fallback.  As it was in a 3 for 2 offer it seemed rude to pass up the chance of another 2 books so I also picked up “Fallen” by Lauren Kate, as every blog I seem to visit raves about this novel and finally I bought “The Hunger Games” by Suzanne Collins as again I’ve heard that this is an amazing series.

So I’ve only actually read one book so far but my books to be read pile is almost into double figures now, I guess that this is just how it goes though.  I’ve also mentioned to my wife a couple of times that I would like a Kindle for my Birthday next month, I only thought I’d mentioned it a couple of times but she did ask me the other day if there was any conversation I couldn’t crowbar the word Kindle into.  I guess that she’s got the message now, I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.
So here’s the books, its quite a haul for me
fallhgpjlttg
So after my purchases I went off to the Starbucks located within Waterstones for a nice relaxing coffee and a long read.  Very convenient having a coffee shop in the bookstore, do you think they planned it like that Winking smile

Well that’s it for this weeks IMM, hopefully I’ll get True Grit finished this week so I can start on my review, I would also like to get a review of “Glass Houses” up for you guys to read.  Blogging really is a time sink but so far has been great fun.  If you want to let me know what you’ve been up to please  post in the comments below……………

1 comment:

  1. I love The Hunger Games series!! Fallen is also a good book ;) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete